The 13 Best Portable Chargers and Powerbanks in 2022
For better or worse, most of us are pretty glued to our phones, but all that scrolling, texting, and likes can really drain your battery life. That’s why a solid charger or portable power bank is essential if you don’t want to run dry halfway through your day.
That being said, the charger that came with your phone isn’t always a perfect fit. If you’re looking for a new one that will suit your unique lifestyle, there are plenty of options. And Shop TODAY consulted a tech expert to find out everything you need to know about buying portable chargers and power banks, so you’ll never be without power again, whether you’re near an outlet or not.
What to look for in a phone charger
Most phones come with a charger when you buy them, but if you’re looking to buy another one (say, yours is broken or you want to have an extra one handy) there are a few key qualities. you should look for when shopping and what questions you should ask yourself, depending on Khurram Afridiassociate professor of electrical and computer engineering at Cornell University.
- Efficiency: If you’re concerned about saving energy in your home, efficiency is an important consideration when buying a phone charger. “Look for how much power from the wall is transmitted to the phone,” Afridi advised, adding that most phones don’t use as much power as other devices. “You can search the web and see if anyone has measured and reported the efficiency of the charger you are looking to buy.”
- The taxes : Ideally, the charger you buy will power your device quickly, but not all models are created equal. “Charging rate is determined by the rated power (or power) of the charger given in watts (or W),” Afridi explained. However, more does not always mean better. “Charging rate is also limited by the phone itself, so using a high-powered charger won’t necessarily charge the phone faster than the charger(s) recommended by the phone manufacturer.” For fast charging, in particular, your phone’s brand recommendation is probably correct.
- Wired vs Wireless: Whether you prefer a wall charger or a wireless version, there’s an option for everyone, and Afridi said finding the right one is really down to personal preference and convenience. “Wired chargers can charge faster than wireless chargers, while wireless chargers give you the freedom to just place the phone on the charger and not have to plug it in to charge,” said he declared.
Once you’ve decided on the type of charger you want, it’s time to make sure it’s actually compatible with your phone. “You should always check that out,” Afridi said. “There are differences in the connectors. Additionally, some phones (including Apple phones) require additional functionality in the charger before accepting a charge.”
Here, we’ve rounded up seven top-rated wired and wireless chargers for iPhone and Android that meet Afridi’s suggestions.
The best wireless phone chargers
This versatile wireless charger works with multiple iPhone and Android models. The bestseller, which has over 95,000 five-star ratings, offers three charging modes, including 7.5W, 10W, and 5W. It also comes in six colors and is compatible with AirPods.
Love making video calls to your family, but hate how they drain your battery? This wireless charging stand makes it easy to use your phone hands-free while it charges. It works with Qi-enabled smartphones (including several Android and iPhone models) and also has a built-in fan to keep your device cool. The popular model has an average rating of 4.6 stars and satisfied buyers say it “works like a dream” and is “great for overnight charging”.
Many recent iPhone models feature MagSafe (aka Magnetic) technology for wireless charging, and this popular option is a must-have if you’re looking for the latest and greatest in tech. The MagSafe charger can be attached to several iPhone models, including the 13, 13 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro, and is said to provide fast and efficient charging up to 15W. It’s also compatible with select iPhone models. AirPods.
Do you have multiple Apple devices? This Charger Duo can charge iPhones, Apple Watches as well as AirPods with wireless charging cases. You can power two devices simultaneously by simply placing them on the charger – no wires required! It also folds down to a convenient size when you’re done, making it an ideal option for travel.
Do you prefer a charging station? This 3 in 1 version can power your iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods at the same time. It is also compatible with several Android phones. The charging station has racked up over 26,000 five-star ratings and many customers say they like its sleek design. “The station also takes up much less space than I ever imagined,” wrote one reviewer. “All that mess of strings is gone!”
The best corded phone chargers
With over 7,000 five-star ratings, this Samsung wall charger is well recommended by buyers. The bestseller is compatible with multiple devices and would offer fast charging to save your time. It also comes with a detachable USB-C cable that makes it easy to charge your phone from a laptop or portable power bank. “It will take a dying battery and give it half its life in about less than an hour!” a a satisfied customer wrote. “I love this thing!”
If you’re short on outlet space and regularly fight with your family over who gets to charge their phone first, this handy gadget is perfect. The popular USB wall charger comes with two built-in ports and can power two devices at once. More than 55,000 Amazon customers have left the popular product a five-star rating and many say it’s “extremely helpful” and offers “great value for money”. Did we mention it also comes in 10 colors?
What to Look for in a Portable Power Bank
When you’re on vacation, heading to an amusement park for the day, or running errands, you usually don’t have much time to stop and charge your devices. And that’s where a portable power bank can come in handy. If it’s the first time you buy one, Afridi recommends paying attention to two aspects:
- Energy capacity: “The power capacity is listed on the power bank in terms of mAh,” he said. “The mAh rating tells you how much charge the power bank can hold. Just like the portable power bank, your phone contains a Li-ion battery of approximately 4V. The rating for this battery is also given in mAh So if you want to fully charge your phone battery from a portable power bank, you need the power bank to have at least the same charging capacity as your phone.” You can often find this information through your phone’s settings or by looking up your model’s power capacity online.
- Cut: “Consider the size of the power bank relative to its energy capacity,” the professor suggested.
As with phone chargers, you should make sure that the power bank you have chosen will actually work for your device before ordering it. “Most should be compatible with both types of phones [iPhones and Androids]but it’s always wise to check before you buy to be sure,” Afridi said.
Below are six top-rated options to consider.
Best Portable Chargers and Power Banks
Over 25,000 Amazon shoppers have given this portable charger a five-star rating. It works with several models of smartphones, tablets and laptops, and depending on the brand, the 26800 mAh power will allow you to power your phone more than six times on a single charge. Even better? It also has three USB ports so you can charge multiple devices at once.
You don’t have to break the bank to get a quality portable charger. This best-selling two-pack sells for just $22 and has over 44,000 five-star ratings from customers who can’t help but rave about its quality. One buyer called it a “must buy” and another said the portable charger powers four cell phones on a single charge. The chargers would also be compact and compatible with a range of smartphone models.
Got a newer iPhone? This portable battery attaches to the back of the phone using magnetic technology so you can charge it on the go. The multitasker can also be used with a Lightning cable when you have access to a wall outlet, making it a versatile option.
Available in five colors, this compact charger offers a little fashion and a lot of functions. The 4500mAh model is designed to charge multiple iPhone models, as well as AirPods, and slips easily into bags and pockets. The product has over 7,000 five-star ratings on Amazon and a legion of buyers who swear by it, including one who has called it the “holy grail of portable chargers”.
Finding a portable power bank that will charge all your devices isn’t easy, but Energizer’s best-selling model seems up to the task. It’s said to be universally compatible with a range of smartphones, tablets, headphones, smartwatches and more, and promises up to 54 hours of battery life thanks to its fast-charging technology. The ultra-thin gadget can also charge up to two devices at once.
Nothing’s worse than realizing your portable charger has run out of juice when you really need a boost – but this bestseller has a backup in place for those stressful times. The 10,000 mAh wireless battery offers traditional and solar charging. Buyers say it offers “great quality” and is “extremely versatile” and many people like that it’s compatible with any Qi-enabled mobile device. Plus, it even has a built-in flashlight and compass kit for emergencies.
For more stories like this, check out: