EU deal on single mobile charging port likely June 7, setback for Apple

EU countries and EU lawmakers are expected to agree on a common charging port for cellphones, tablets and headphones on June 7 when they meet to discuss a proposal that has been heavily criticized by Apple, people familiar with the matter said.

The proposal for a single mobile charging port was first tackled by the European Commission over a decade ago after iPhone and Android users complained about having to use different chargers for their phones .

The former is charged from a Lightning cable while Android-based devices are powered using USB-C connectors.

Next Tuesday’s trilogue will be the second and likely the last between EU countries and EU lawmakers on the subject, an indication of a strong push to strike a deal, the people said.

The best of Express Premium
Prime
Interview with Tony Fadell: Prime
From Coercion to Scam to China Nexus: The Growing Threat of Loan App ScamsPrime
Social media: appeal committees can be set up for grievancesPrime

Outstanding issues include extending the scope of the proposal to laptops, a key request from EU lawmakers that is likely to impact Samsung and Huawei and other device makers, people said.

EU lawmakers also want wireless charging systems to be harmonized by 2025, while EU countries and the Commission want a longer start-up period for technical reasons.

Apple was not immediately available for comment. He has previously said that the inappropriate use of outdated international standards is stifling innovation and forcing users to switch to new chargers could create a mountain of e-waste.

Comments are closed.